Sunday, April 9, 2023

Memento

Memento

Finished Print Product



Memory Spike (A Conflicted Memory: 3D print plastic, yellow spray paint, and blue acrylic paint; size - 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 in)







Artist Statement:

This sculpture explores a personal memory that I experienced when in transitioning from high school to college. My family and I moved from Virginia to Florida right after my eighteenth birthday and high school graduation. Packing my room had a happy and intense feeling as I was born and raised in this bedroom for eighteen years. It felt happy and emotional to say goodbye to such a special place that had importance. The 3D printed square-spike describes the emotional attitude from the memory. The yellow color describes the happy emotion, while the blue color describes the sadness in the memory. Additionally, the repetitive spikes were meant to be hand-sized so that the viewer can receive a sense of the emotional attitude from the sculpture’s texture.  


In-Process Photos:



3D Structure Designed on Tinkercad 3D Software, Then Converted to 3D Printer


Spike Design Inside Printer


Inspiration

Line Depping: https://depping-joergensen.dk/line-depping-work/

Louis Bourgeois: https://www.artsy.net/

                  Marcel Duchamp: https://www.noshowmuseum.com/en/1st-b/marcel-duchamp



Personal Memories (Reference: On Longing, by Susan Stewart):


#1: My Room That I Left After Eighteen Years
Selected Memory
"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale" (On Longing, Stuart).
I liked to think about the past through an emotional attitude. However, it was hard for me to be emotional externally. I was a body that perceived scale in so many different ways. For example, my body thinks of myself and the room as small as a baby, and larger at eighteen years old. Thinking about my former room makes me think of how I perceived my life, the personal traits of the personality scale, and the ways I have changed in perception. When I moved to my new Florida room, the scale of my memories changed from happiness to determination. 

#2: High School Graduation
"The souvenir speaks to the context of origin through a language of longing, for it is not an object arising out of need or use" (On Longing, Stuart).
Like a pulsar, visions, and colleges were calling for me from a distance to prove what I have in my academic skills. I graduated with a 3.901 GPA in this high school diploma. A 3.901 can echo a vision and possibility for future success. This photo reminds me of how the graduation souvenir can become a long-lasting language in which motivation can succeed. 


#3: SOCI-ABLES Promotion at Club Involvement Fair
"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body" (On Longing, Stuart). 
I processed information of interests that I observed how other students had an interest in SOCI-ABLES at our first involvement fair. I grew to understand how some students were and were not interested in the club. This photo helps me understand how a complex understanding became a simplistic verse of knowledge. The body was able to intake this knowledge via the brain. 


#4: Exploring Lincolnville During FlagSHIP
"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy" (On Longing, Stuart). 
The eye is attached to one central building in Lincolnville. This old church has so much significance to the segregation of African Americans and Whites due to its abandoned quality, signs, and its historical significance to the town. This allows me to think about the typical building in a historic district to which it inspires a trophy to the desegregation of African Americans and other races.  


#5: Me Greeting John Delany for President's List Ceremony
"The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated" (On Longing, Stuart). 
My education is a competitive sport for me to earn a strong GPA. When I earned a 4.0 GPA in my first semester at Flagler College, an award unfolded with me receiving my certificate greeting John Delany, President of Flagler College. Thinking about this memory allows me to keep my values aside so that I can continue to motivate strong academic standing in my semesters at college.

No comments:

Post a Comment